Friday, July 12, 2013

perspective and support

The first go round taught me that support groups are very important. I can cry and complain to everyone I know, but there is a certain satisfaction that is met when discussing things with someone that gets it. Someone that REALLY gets it. Been there, done that. So I'm actively involved in a few groups on Facebook and another one online. I'd love to have some local yocals that meet at Starbucks once a month for that purpose too. But for now, I'm content in my hiding behind the monitor groups. However, lately there has been an influx of birthmothers in those adoption groups. Fine, but these are clearly bio parents that are NOT for adoption. Must have had their kids taken from them or have horrible relationships with the adoptive families. But this has really opened my eyes to the "other side". To some extent I have always battled with that other side. We are so lucky to have gained Jacob as a son, but I really hurt for his bio parents. Can you imagine waking up and knowing you'd never see your kids again?! And then it DID happen to us. Sofia left us. And now I GET IT! OUCH!! So for this adoption Adam and I decided that the agency we chose would really service the biological parents as well. I don't want to TAKE someone's kid. I want them to have couseling, and really be at peace with their decision to place their child into my arms. I want them to have services before, during, and afterwards. I want them to be able to heal their hearts and know that GOD and the rest of the world LOVES them know matter what their past has been like. And so its been my personal decision to try to show these families love. No matter if their kids were taken from them and put into foster care, or if they placed their child into adoption. Some people have been easier to love than others. Really puts things into perspective. Saw this article on one of my support groups today: http://adoptionvoicesmagazine.com/adoptee-view/dear-christian-who-is-praying-for-an-infant-to-adopt/#.Ud_p50FQGSp Just confirmed my feelings. I feel like the author really lost me for the last few sentences....but for the most part it was a good article. Interesting perspective. And as we continue on in this adoption journey--- please be in prayer for us but for also the "other" family.

1 comment:

  1. It was a joy to gain a grandchild...beyond belief great joy! I also didn't realize that there was another side to that story...beyond belief pain for the birth mom from loosing that precious child! But God touched my insensitive heart when I 'lost' a foster granddaughter. It hurt sooooooooo badly! At first I was in denial; then angry. At that moment I realized that BOTH sides need healing. Both sides need a shoulder to lean on. Both sides NEED a support group. I can't believe there is not one in this area. It is greatly needed. Good luck Heather. I hope you have luck in finding a support group that is convenient and helpful to all the hurting families that have lost a precious one to adoption.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete